Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Struggle is Real

"How do you function throughout the day," my husband asked me yesterday. 

I work for an incredible cataract and Lasik surgeon and I'll be having a Lasik evaluation on Tuesday to see if I'm a candidate for laser eye correction. I was explaining to Nat a legitimate safety concern I've pondered for years. If someone in the "murda bizzness" came into our house while I was in the shower without my contacts in or my glasses on, should I be able to blindly fight them off and escape, I would be unable to identify them at a later date based on how visual impaired I am without helpful correction. 

Another scenario I am fully concerned about is in the event I find myself on a sinking cruise ship. I stand a better bet if the boat starts to go down and I'm in my glasses, as long as I don't loose them in rough seas than I do if I'm in my contacts. If I ended up stranded on a deserted island for more than a day or so with my lenses in, I'm at risk for that cornea eating amoeba everyones been so concerned about on social media these last few months; or I can take my lenses out and be disabled. The struggle is real.  I've also seen too many episodes of doomsday preppers and realise I would need to have numerous pairs of eyeglasses to bring with me should my lenses break.  You know, in battle.

I can't find my glasses unless I have them on. Settling in on the couch in the evening then realising I haven't taken my contacts out for the evening and having to go upstairs to take them out is far worse than it sounds. EVERY DAY.  If I decide to wear my glasses for the day, I need to literally be two inches away from the mirror to apply eye makeup. Mascara wands and eyeliner are longer than two inches. It's a logistical nightmare.

I've been told my corneas are not thick enough to undergo the procedure as I am so very nearsighted a lot of cornea would be needed. I sat in the lunch room last week discussing my scary scenarios with a cataract and glaucoma surgeon and two optometrists. One of my friends, who is also near sighted asked if it was possible if my corneas were too thin to get to 20/20 vision, if I could get the surgery to at least make me less nearsighted. All three doctors agreed that it is not something that is done because most people who get Lasik are so determined to be entirely out of glasses. 

After hearing my sad, sad tales of blurry woe, they understood my desire for visual improvement even if it wasn't perfection and all began to understand my predicament. So in answer to my husband's question, of how I function during the day? Not only do I function, I bring everyone else around me into my crazy blurry world. 



2 comments:

Eva Gallant said...

Lucky you to work for lasik surgeons. I have to lock my door when I shower, because I definitely would not be able to identify the intruder without my glasses, and I can't afford laser surgery!

Kimberly G said...

Good luck to you. I had prk surgery last August. My eyes were really bad. A year later & I can't see up close at all (they said I might need reading glasses), but I also can't see far away good & in between too. Hopefully things will go better with you.
http://therantingsofadramaqueensmum.blogspot.com