Saturday, July 13, 2013

Mia becomes Maya

Being a first time foster was full of unknowns. I swore I would not keep "the dog." The problem was that the potential adopters were just not right and I knew it was not just because I had fallen in love with my foster. 

I spoke on the phone with a "match" the rescue had put me in touch with. She lived 3 hours away, worked 9 hours a day and had four cats. Now I don't have anything against cats, but my head was filled with visions of high energy Mia crated for hours on end, with sulky, glamourous cats slinking around her crate purring, "We are Siamese if you please." I knew the woman would not have the energy to take care of her. I voiced my concerns to the rescue and the next day I had a great chat with the lady and we mutually agreed, Mia was not the dog for her. 

Saturday, I met with a couple of empty nesters. I had high hopes as they had a Terrier Mix and were the parents of the gal who brought Mia to our rescue and knew how sweet Mia was. (She told me Mia looked so much better in the weeks time we had kept her.)  I honestly loved the couple. Mia and her potential doggy sister however stood and stared at each other. They didn't dislike each other, but let's just say, Mia was not impressed. The family ended up deciding to adopt a puppy. 

Mia was not impressed

The rescue had one more family lined up for me for the weekend. A family with with three daughters and a young son. They had recently lost their elderly lab. In my heart, I knew they were going to be the ones. I also knew, if they weren't, I couldn't do the roller coaster of emotions anymore and she would stay. 

The parents arrived with their oldest daughter and the elementary school aged son who had once been bitten by a "small dog," and claimed he was a little fearful. Everyone was shocked by how small she was. After we showed them how tough she was playing with Bru, Nat took Bru on a walk so they could see Mia by herself a little bit. He told me he was convinced they were going to want a larger dog we were going to keep her. Mia performed her best Meerkat impression and did sit and shake and wooed them with everything she had. I knew they were perfect.

The son, still a little confused about the recent loss of his dog had many questions about her age and recent spay surgery and overall skinny figure. "I mean,  could she...D-I-E?" He spelled out. I melted, but I think I did okay explaining that she was getting healthy now. Their daughter cried because they were rescuing this time instead of buying. As I packed her belongings I was fighting back tears, but I could tell they completely understood my struggle. The Mom asked me if I was sure and then she promised me this would be Mia's final move. The Dad asked me if I thought we would foster again, which made me laugh as I told them I didn't think I was cut out for it. 
I thought we had a "No Dogs on the Bed" rule? Oops. 
Over a month has passed. I have kept in touch a little bit and Mia, is doing fabulously. They have changed the spelling of her name to Maya, which phonetically is the pronunciation to which she answers. (A detail which assures me even more, we did the right thing.) The son is no longer afraid and Maya has her choice of beds every night. 
Tech Savvy Pup. 
My family, friends and co-workers all saw me cry over this little girl I called Meerkat Maya. They said we did a great thing, but didn't think I should do it again, for my own emotional health. At the time, I agreed. Looking back, Maya is exactly where she is supposed to be because of us. I told Nat a few weeks ago, I might be ready to do it again soon. But you know, with a young puppy, because the have no idea what is going on and won't get so attached to me. He looked at me like I had three heads. Until then....

1 comment:

Eva Gallant said...

I don't think I could do it! I'd get too attached.