Tuesday, April 12, 2011

To Expand or Not to Expand...

Nat and I have been contemplating a dog for years. With the wedding and honeymoon behind us, now seems like it should be the perfect time.  As one who is terrified to commitment however, I've started to get cold feet.  Summer is coming. I won't be able to go to the beach all day with a dog. What if Nat and I argue about vacuuming?

About a week ago,  I was on an early evening walk. We live in a nice neighborhood, so I was surprised to be heckled by some young teens.  Said teens were recording themselves doing bike tricks, but turned their video my way when I walked past.  "Get down on your knees and work it girl," they yelled. Oh. My. God. Reeeally?  As if that wasn't bad enough, I continued onto my house where a short while later they meandered on by to yell more sexually explicit things while I stood in my front yard talking to my mother in law.

Maybe it's time for a nice, intimidating dog.  And a total lifestyle change. In my constant quest for inner peace and zen, I've decided if I'm going to be walking a dog I can probably quit the gym, but still do yoga once a week and hopefully keep everything in place.  My friend April protested saying that I love the gym. I thought about it. I don't really love the gym anymore, I just go because I'm afraid of what will happen if I don't!..(Ok, I guess I still love it a little bit too.)

We agreed to watch Nat's Mom's dogs overnight Sunday. They are little Cockerspaniel/Pomeranian mixes who are tons of fun and love us at his Mom's house. Piece of cake! It would be a great trial period for us right? The second his Mom left they proceeded to mope and look tragically depressed.  I gave them a treat which they refused to eat, but proceeded to snarl at each other over.

I decided to leave the house to go to a doggie adoption event and allow the dogs to get used to our place. They stared longingly out the window at me utterly devastated at their abandonment. When I returned a short hour and half later, they were still peering out the window.  In the meantime,I had fallen in love with a perfect large dog at the adoption event, but these two were bringing me down.  I let them outside and they just stood and stared.  We came inside to take a nap and the bigger one barked the moment I drifted off to sleep. I could tell she did it on purpose. 

In a final attempt to cheer them up, I decided to brave the streets and take them on a walk. They gleefully skipped along...back and forth tangling me up and getting their leashes under their legs because they wouldn't walk at the same pace.   When other dogs walked by, they lunged at them and then bit each other. I was mortified! I've been told the bigger one likes to poop for sport. (AND she had already gone in my yard), so after picking up after her twice, I was done. She continued to make attempts to squat but I tugged her along while she pretended to act miserable and the other walkers judged me for being a bad dog walker. She would then joyfully trot along on good behavior when nobody was around. They were still pretty bouncy when we got back to my house, but once inside, they tragically flopped their little bodies down and sighed big pathetic, "woe is me sighs" and looked pitifully at me from the top of their heads.

I tried yet again to rekindle that nap.  They barked to be put outside. Nat came home and they were happy to see him for a little while before returning to their tragic, sad state. When it was time for bed the little one tried to position herself between us. NOT going to happen. I said "No," and her little doggie eyes actually teared up and she proceeded to look heartbroken while Nat sided with her saying, she was just scared and unsure why she was at our house. I still took my spot next to him (because I'M the alpha female) and let her sleep down by my feet while the other suspiciously slept in the doorway. (And occasionally let out one sharp bark throughout the night.)

Maybe it was a fluke that those two were being so lame? Maybe it's a sign that we shouldn't get a dog? I'm still trying to decide to take that plunge or not...Thoughts?

1 comment:

Hyphen Interiors said...

I've decided not to take that plunge myself, but part of that comes from my poop scooping phobia. And, part from my freedom loving. You're a great writer! I loved the explanation of your blog name. Just wanted to say thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. If you do paint that chair, send me pics!! :)

P.S. I would at times respond directly back to the comment email alert with an email, but your comments come in as no-reply. That can be changed in your blogger profile. Just click show email address. (Just in case that is helpful.)