Wednesday, April 6, 2011

It takes a lot of work to be helpful...AND do it right

After a few failed attempts at dropping off clothes at the local goodwill (it's a task that seems easy, but always takes me weeks to physically do after my clothes have been collected), I received a postcard in the mail from the Purple Heart Pick-Up stating they pick up unwanted items. From your house! It almost sounded too easy.  I went online and scheduled for a pick-up to come this morning.  They requested the bags be clearly marked. Wanting to make it as easy as possible on them, I tied my bags shut with pretty purple ribbon, found my purple sharpie and wrote, "PURPLE HEART, THANK YOU," and drew a purple heart in hopes that it would make them smile because I was so clever.

I left them on the front porch steps last night.  For some reason I looked out the window after Nat got in and noticed they were by the trash. I thanked him for his attempted helpfulness, but told him they actually needed to be on the porch. He offered to go them right away, but he had just taken off his work clothes and felt so warm in bed I told him to get them later. 

When I woke up at 7 a.m. they were gone. So was the trash that never gets picked-up until after 8 a.m. Nat said he had not remembered to go get the Purple Heart bags. F! Now, while I was upset that my donation of clothes, (some rather nice work clothes at that) had been thrown away, I was more upset about the Purple Heart peeps making a wasted trip and never trusting me again and getting black balled from their pick-up list for life. (I planned to use them exclusively.) My day was starting in Hate Spiral of unfortunate events. What to do. It was too late to cancel the pick-up.

That's when Nat said he had clothes to donate. Brilliant. In my half asleep daze, this would never have occurred to me.  He quickly went through his closet while I showered and felt smug that this forced him to have to go through his clothes which I had wanted him to do for quite some time. When I left, the bag was on the porch.  He just used a regular pen and he didn't use ribbon to tie the bag but he did write "Thank You."

And just like that, I loved my husband even more!

4 comments:

That one girl said...

Awww, I love your husband too! THat is sooo cute AND such a good little story to use to get MY hubby to go through this clothes!

International Woman of Mystery said...

Awwww! Cute story.

Blue Foot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kattrina said...

What a cute story! Thanks for stopping by my blog and I highly recommend taking our your wedding dress and putting it on again. I live with my sister and after she took pics of hubs and me in our wedding clothes she decided to put her dress on too!
Glad you found out about Purple Heart. I used to use them all the time too. Then one day I was driving the beverage cart at the golf course and I was crossing the street (in my beverage cart in a clearly marked "cart crossing" area) and a Purple Heart truck crashed right into me and ruined the beverage cart. I now have the Lupus Foundation pick up all my clothing....