Friday, February 11, 2011

Nat and Julie, The Love Story, Pt 2.

I left off at walking into Harry Browne's with April for the third time in one night and seeing Nat.  He was behind the bar and friendly and cute, but I already knew HB's was going to be our new spot.  I didn't want a repeat of the shenanigans from our last watering hole, so I kept him and everyone else at a distance for a while.  (Ok, at least I was subtle about it and/or saw people who were not HB's regulars. Ahem.)   

A few months went by and we got to know Nat a little bit.  He was fun to joke around with and maybe even flirt with a little bit.  Somewhere along the line the girls and I started hanging out after the bar closed.  Nat and Patrick would drive us home and drop us off so we didn't have to pay for a cab.  Entirely innocent.

I was starting to get curious though.  He was fun.  (And could make a mean dirty martini!) Late night drives home turned into joking text messages, running into each other on the street and hanging out before he headed into work.  He was becoming more and more attractive as time passed. One night, Mel, April and I went to his house instead of home and a novel concept occurred to me.  Maybe he was datable?  Perhaps, I should go out with someone I was friends with.  How did that work?  Then again, why hadn't he made a move on me in 6 months?!?! I felt a little insulted! Or maybe I was in his friend category.  This needed to be remedied immediately.

The next weekend after an unusually low key night at HB's, Kristen and I ventured back to Nat's.  April was on her honeymoon, Mel was otherwise occupied and we were feeling a little lost without them.  Sometime after watching movies until the wee hours in the morning, the sun was starting to rise and I got the distinct feeling Nat might have intentions to kiss  me.  An unfamiliar feeling of panic set it and I suddenly realized I really liked him! I would have to make sure NOT to kiss him under any circumstances!

Where this rationale came from I have no clue. I randomly looked away whenever he had an opening and when we went for an early morning sunrise walk down by the water, I wouldn't come near him so as to thwart his obvious mission. What was wrong with me?!?!  I wanted to kiss him, but the fear of growing feelings was imminent.

Back in the house, I decided I was being silly.  On the next opportunity, I would kiss him! Except, before I knew it, HE was kissing me. I suppose he had grown tired of my antics and took charge of the situation.  And it was good. Very good. 

But we didn't fall in love yet.  In fact, it would be several months before we even kissed again...

7 comments:

The Vegetable Assassin said...

Aww! That's so romantic. Check you out being like a Victorian lady or something. I hope you wore a big dress with a bustle and ample cleavage and fanned yourself with a Japanese fan the entire evening too. :)

Dani said...

LOVE this Jules, Love it. I hate how all these romantic comedies make us this that unless it's love at first sight there's no love at all. What a load! This is a much sweeter story!

Stephanie Faris said...

Awwww, I'm loving this love story. Can't wait to read the next part.

The Frisky Virgin said...

Okay, I really didn't want to stop reading! Next part! Next part! I love when love blossoms from friendship. :)

International Woman of Mystery said...

Awww sweet. Can't wait to hear more!

FreeFlying said...

Oh, I love it! I hadn't even read the first one yet, so I got to go back and start with that. Double score!

The Adorkable Ditz said...

Heehee oh love stories. Gotta love them! :)

The Adorkable Ditz' Missteps