Friday, December 3, 2010

Why NOT to date boys you work with

While I never went out with anyone that worked directly in my office,  there is a slippery slope when fraternizing with clients. It took me...a while to learn this lesson.  Here are a few examples.

One day our IT company sent out a new young fellow for some big software overhaul we were doing at the office.  I guess I was chatting up the guy, (seems about right) while his counterpart was in another part of the office playing matchmaker.  Things swiftly got out of control with other parties involved and before I knew it I was meeting Chris at Redwood Trust, (a techno club in a questionable part of Baltimore) with my girlfriends the next night.  I won't take full responsibility for this calamity however because for a brief period of my life, my very best girlfriends and I worked for the same company.  They thought he seemed nice and normal.  When we got to the club, he kept trying to separate me from my friends.  We were not really into that music and quickly decided it was not our scene.  Sensing our impending departure, Chris said with a shoulder shaking, hustle dance move from the 70's, totally inappropriate to the music, something the girls and I would mock for years to come. "Wanna dance?" I inched away in horror. April took over. "No, we just don't like this music.  We're going to go." His reply was that I could stay with them and sleep at their hotel that night.  WHAT?!?! So we went to Hammerjacks, (reeeeal classy) and he never came to our office again.

This is not me, or him, or the dance move in question, but is an adequate portrayal of the moment anyway.  (random internet people)

I think the first time I met Paul was at a work Happy Hour and he was a nice fellow if not a bit unsure of himself and a solid 10 years my senior.  He was fun to talk to and did a lot of business in my area. I decided to go while many of my coworkers were still wildly inebriated and for once I was not. There was a rose purchasing situation going on in the bar, (why does that happen? Seriously, I feel it's totally inappropriate) and headed out the door, Paul decided it would be a good idea to walk me to my car and present me with one of said roses.  I am not sure how this situation escalated so out of control so quickly but before I knew it he was leaning to kiss me and I was not into him in that way.  Quick on my toes and fast as lightening so he thought it was his idea I moved my face and kissed his cheek. Disaster averted.  Although, I then proceeded to hang out with him on several more occasions.  He even came to a birthday party of mine.  I guess the moral of this one is, um be quick on your toes and don't let things get awkward... and then things will be OK?

I'm not sure where I was going with these. Am I losing you? Come back Monday so I can tell you about tall, dark and handsome Derek and how I'm on HIS list of crazy dates!

9 comments:

Renee said...

I think it's always awkward to try to date someone you work with. I made the unfortunate mistake more times than I'd like ot admit. Thankfully those days are over...

BTW, who sells roses at a bar?!?!?

Jeff said...

Things were so much simpler back in my dating years...gosh that was so long ago I can only remember bits and pieces :-)

Sally-Sal said...

I slept with one of the guys I worked with once.

I was looking for a bratwurst, and he offered me a cocktail frank.

Becky Mochaface said...

Luckily the work dating sitch is a crisis I somehow missed out on. Thank the sweet grilled cheebus. Don't think I could have been as quick on my toes as you were.

Stephanie Faris said...

I was briefly involved with a co-worker once and I learned a very hard lesson. I ended up ending things because he just wasn't for me and then I had to face him at staff meetings and work parties for the next two or three years. Finally he left but I was just lucky he didn't spread it around that we'd been involved. (Nobody knew.)

Marlene said...

That sounded painful!

The Lady Board said...

Oh Jules, the stories I could share. Back in my single days, before I became the married hag that I am today, I went through the guys at my office like water. Now, a few years later, there is nothing I love more than walking into a meeting to find one of these guys sitting in the conference room. Awesome.

- Jill @ TheLadyBoard

Sir Thomas said...

did the dance really look like that?

Now thats funny stuff... oh wait we dont work together do we...

Jenni said...

Hahaha ooooh awkward dates. Love it. I dated a guy for 4 years who then got a job at my company like a year after we had broken up and not spoken since. I know it's not the same ... but it was awkward still.

Jenni @ The Lady Board