Friday, December 10, 2010

Of mice and cupcakes

(I'm working on the final dating story now and debating if I really want to tell it or not. Until then, a short story.)

After a lovely Sunday afternoon at my friends Doug and Dana's house, I was sent home with two delicious chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter filling.  The top was covered with chocolate icing and just a dollop of the peanut butter icing.  Divine.  I ate cupcake one for breakfast on Monday.  Later that evening, the remaining cupcake was calling my name.  As I approached the cupcake, I discovered the "dollop" was not longer there.  I had my suspicions. I did. Nat doesn't particularly enjoy sweets.  It was unlikely he consumed the small bit of icing while I had been out.  My desire to devour the remaining cake beat out my fear.  I enjoyed that sweet.

Yesterday, I entered the kitchen.  A dark flash lunged from the counter to behind the oven, all four feet in the air, tail flailing behind. I stood frozen in fury. Why must there always be rodent issues wherever we move?  (Last house it was the intolerable squirrels.) A sick feeling overcame me.  That cupcake had rodent saliva and paws on it. Oh. My. God.  I immediately googled "mouse disease." Then I saw something that said "fatal" and I decided that was scary and I had better not search further.

Our last in counter was him terrorizing me by appear on the top of the stove and then peering at me from below.  My only hope is that he ventures to the other side of that adjoining wall where three frisky cats live.  I'm now upstairs because while putting dishes away, he scampered right by my foot and disappeared under the sink. The most alarming part of this is that there is no gap whatsoever between our linoleum and sink. HOW did he do it.  I watched him magically disappear like some crazy Harry Potter Platform 9 3/4 nonsense.

12 comments:

asj said...

love the harry potter reference, hilarious! AND I think it's time to get some mouse traps! :(

Birdie said...

Nasty. Mice intimidate me because they're not small enough to smoosh with your shoe. They're closer to a cat than a cockroach and who am I to kill a cat?!? And yes, I've seen mice squeeze under a door with almost no gap. Fantastic 5 crap here.

Milk-2Sugars said...

i think id actually cry if i lived with a mouse, though my cat would no doubt murder it and bring it to me as a gift.. which would freak me out just as much

i hope he doesnt terrorise you much longer

You've Got to Be Kidding Me said...

I saw some form of rodent a few weeks ago and immediately called in the professionals. I've basically enacted a tiny Hiroshima on their asses.

The Adorkable Ditz said...

I remember once we had a rat problem in the attic, guess who's room had the entrance to the attic?

Thankfully that problem was solved but now I'm still afraid to go out in the backyard because of the opossums.

http://theadorkableditzmissteps.blogspot.com/

Marlene said...

EEEK!! MICE!!!! (They are a little cute, though, no?)

Jeremy said...

We don't have rodents in our neighborhood. This is due to the abundance of stray cats, who will bite you, give you a staph infection in your blood stream and then after you survive 4 days in the hospital will poop in your yard to mock you. Have I mentioned how much I hate cats? (disclaimer, this rant was inspired by a brand new litter of said stray cats I saw earlier tonight)

Colleen said...

Love the HP referrnce. Mice amuse me . . .

Michelle Saunderson said...

I love the Harry Potter analogy. Mice can definitely be crafty. I hope you don't catch any strange disease.

International Woman of Mystery said...

Oh no! I feel sick just reading that. Glad you have survived!

The Frisky Virgin said...

Oh, ewwww--that gave me goose bumps. They are just so nasty. If they were more like the mice in Cinderella's world, we'd have no problems. :)

Must echo what everyone else has said: Love the Harry Potter reference. :)

SW23CT (Cam man?) said...

Wasn't there also a character in harry potter that turned into a rat or like-wise rodent? seeing as you watched it dissappear as if from the harry potter story itself... hmmmmmm.