Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Clothes and Karma

I adore girly stuff!  Sky high heels, clothes and make-up make me incredibly happy.  It has occurred to me recently that I have a superstitious and possibly unhealthy attachment/relationship to clothes.  We just went over a brief history of my dating life in the last few weeks and I didn't mention that I had to have a new outfit for each date.  Not just because it's what you do, but because I truly felt that karma from one bad date, might roll over to the next date and sabotage it! Almost like cheating. Therefore, new clothes for each guy.  (I could wear the clothes after, just not on a new date.)

Sometimes, if you want to know the truth, I've been known to almost personify clothes. There was one shirt that I used to wear and without fail, the night would end in total debauchery every time! I eventually got rid of it after saying, "The SHIRT made me do it!" one to many times.

And don't get me started on the whole underwear thing.  But for the record, in the past week, I did solve the "underwear under the wedding dress" dilemma and they are certainly not white!

Let's talk about work clothes.  Does anybody remember this post? It's moderately humorous, but if you don't have time to read it, basically it covered the most extreme of adventures in my work history and ended with the hope that when I moved on from my (at the time) current job,  it would be a smooth and "peaceful" transition.  Ha! Well, let's just say that didn't happen.  The good news is that when when people say things like, "Oh, it's a blessing in disguise," I can honestly say, there is no disguise.  This is flat out the best thing that could have happened.

(Sidenote:  You know how you look back at a job you hated at the time and you think to yourself, was it really that bad?  You can't quite remember.  This is the opposite of that.  I look back at my most recent job and more and more things become apparent that were unacceptable.)

So here's the deal.  My previous work clothes have bad work karma! The simple solution is to go out and buy all new clothes.  Which would be all well and good if this had not officially become the fashion season from hell! (that was my attempt at a scary font, epic fail)  All of my friends and I have bitched about how we've attempted shopping trips numerous times this fall for clothes and come back empty handed. (It's all plaid or neutrals!)  Monday night I finished my Christmas shopping and actually found a couple of very cute items to start afresh. Not a total new wardrobe but some solid pieces to mix and match.

Where are you guys shopping this year?  Is everyone having fashion, wardrobe trouble? Am I missing something?

Today's To Do List?  Rid myself of all evil clothes...(and "sage" the rest again, just to be safe!)

9 comments:

Bird Shit and Baby Caca said...

Clothes Karma never occurred to me before...I really need to go through my wardrobe

Marlene said...

So what color WERE the skivvies under the wedding dress?

Sara L. said...

thanks for the sweet comment.
love the story in your "about me" with the napkin tradition!!

Sarah RDH said...

I've always believed in clothes karma. I even had a lucky thong back in the day. And that's all I'm going to say about that. Anywho- I love fashion, I just don't get the financial opportunity to shop for myself very much (children do that to you...) but I'm typically very casual. I really love american eagle. Usually. I'm going shopping tomorrow with my almost non-existant work christmas bonus. Hubs took me shopping there last week and I picked out a few things for christmas, but there was a sweater, that I really, really like, that he says looks like an ugly christmas sweater. But I'm pretty confident I'm going to get it tomorrow. I tried to link it up, but it must be sold out online bc it's not there now.

Paige said...

um can we be best friends forever and ever?!?!?

The Adorkable Ditz said...

I like clothes yes, but if something bad happens in any piece of clothes and I get rid of them afterwards, I'd have to run around naked because that's just impossible for me!

Besides do you know how hard it is to find clothes for my size that's affordable?

http://theadorkableditzmissteps.blogspot.com/

Jen said...

Previous work clothes have bad karma? That's so something that I would say!! I completely believe in starting fresh and having a new attitude and wardrobe! Good luck girl. Can't wait to see the new outfits!

fancythatfancythis.com said...

This post has really got me thinking! So much so that I came out of lurkdom for it.

Clothes karma...I love it!

The Frisky Virgin said...

OMG--I am EXACTLY the same way.

1. I do believe in clothes karma, big time! Totally get where you are coming from.

2. I have to have a new outfit for a new date; bad date outfit = future bad date. Change the outfit, change the karma.

3. Yeah, I don't do the whole white undies thing. Much prefer colors.

Oh, and, yeah, what is with the blah colors lately? I'm not a neutral-color kind-of person. I like color. And plaid...um, no, not for me.