Thursday, December 2, 2010

Classy Guy continues..

During the course of the snowy initial meeting of TJ,  I learned he was soon to be graduating from the Annapolis Naval Academy (convenient as I was moving to Annapolis in a matter of months,) loved working out, reading and was a part of the big brother program.  What's not to love?  Not, NOT his muscles, I'll let tell you that for sure.  I will say, I was intimidated from the beginning.

Who knows if I would have heard from him ever again had I not jetted off into the night wearing his leather jacket.  But since I did, we met the next day back at the scene of the crime, exchanged the jacket, a kiss, surveyed the damage on his vehicle and planned to see each other the next weekend.  He and his friend Mike came to Becca's house where I think TJ and I got along a little better than B and Mike.  (Long story short, I think Mike was just a bit dramatic or something.)  Over the next few weeks TJ and I talked on the phone a lot.  We were living about an hour away from each other and I had a few upsetting things happen in my own life then and I guess the relationship just never fully bloomed.  But I always liked that TJ.  I can honestly say he gave me a sense of calm.

Which is probably why a few years later I instant messaged him one night when the girls and I were headed back out for a night at Cancun Cantina.  It was just one of those evenings where we knew it was going to get out of control.  I was with Melissa and Kristen and the vodka was flowing. A little too easily.

Shortly after arriving in the club I received a text from him.

"I like your hair like that."

My reply, "Where are you?"

I couldn't find him for several minutes, based on the club being packed and my ungodly consumption of vodka.  The girls had never met him so they were of no help.  To be perfectly honest, the three of us were such a train wreck that night I'm really not sure how we even recognized each other.  (See vacant stares in photos...yes, I'm including photos of this evening.  But only of us.  TJ's identity will be protected.)  Eventually, we did meet up.  He could still dance.  I still couldn't.

At the end of the evening, I found myself in his truck again without my friends. (His truck which had never been repaired. I liked to think it had been a constant reminder of me...then again, maybe that wasn't a good thing?)  And like the perfect gentleman I had grown to know, he drove me right back to my girls again, this time depositing me in their car with a "drive safe."  Which somebody did.  Not me.  The girls will say in my drunken stupor I said, "I kissed him. Hee hee," before promptly passing out.  Which I'm sure I did, but sadly do not remember.

We did meet after that for a proper date once and for all.  Just the two of us, and no alcohol.  Unfortunately, I don't recall where we dined other than it was at Arundel Mills mall.  Again, a relationship just never happened.  I'm not sure why other than, I'm sure it was me.  I was truly a bit of a mess those days and I always felt he had his act together.  One step ahead of me while I was clawing at life just trying to keep my head above water.

We've talked once or twice since then and I know he is doing well and has found his true love as I have found mine.  Obviously, we weren't meant to be.  I did however learn a lot about what I wanted from a relationship and what I needed to fix about myself.

(Please note vacant look on face. I wouldn't date me either!)
(TJ's identity protected)

6 comments:

The Leigh said...

WHY DOES HE HAVE HIS SHIRT ON!!! Isnt it a rule for HIM to have HIS shirt OFF when he is photographed? Disapointment GALORE! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA! Love it :o)

Slamdunk said...

Sounds like a great example...

Jeff said...

Isn't that true with everyone...till we understand ourselves we can't understand others..but it's the others that help us understand ourselves..whewwwwwww no..I have not been drinking vodka at 10:15 in the morning :-)

Jeremy said...

I think I should get a guest post so that I can share some of your stories from an unbiased outside view with no revisionist history ;)

Marlene said...

Awww...but you're so pretty.

Bird Shit and Baby Caca said...

The pics are great LOL