Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thai on Tuesday

Eventually, I did move out of my parents house, and in with my good friend Becca.  You may remember her from this story. (Which actually makes me think of the roofie story which we may get to later this week. Maybe.)

One night, Becca and our other bestie Chrissi (we all lived together) went to a party at a mutual friends house.  They all wanted me to meet James. James was super cute.  Tall, dark hair, light blue eyes and was cut. I don't recall all the circumstances of our initial meeting but we must have exchanged phone numbers because later that week we secured a date via home phone.  By this point, I had mastered making toast and it was a good thing because I pretty much existed on sandwiches, so when he asked me if I liked Thai food I was pretty nervous.  While my parents had always exposed me to lots of foods, I resisted. But the guy was cute, so I said, "I love it!"  We went to Terra Thai in Bethesda and I was immediately smitten by it's underwater murals and general decor.  Plus, I felt glamourous dating during the week and in Bethesda at that, even if I was just wearing a jean skirt. (What? I had like JUST moved out of my parents house.  It was a big deal!) (And yes, I do remember exactly what I was wearing.  And I do for all of these dating posts at that. Don't judge.)

I guess the date was going well.  No awkward silences. We saw "Blue Crush" afterwards. Typical dinner/movie date.  There was just one little nagging problem.  I couldn't get past his laugh. It was BAD. Cute, successful, fun, good kisser, but I found myself trying to not say funny things to prevent the inevitable, "Huh, huh, huh, huh, huh."  What was I to do?  I avoided his calls.  Pretty awkward when he came to our house the next weekend when it would seem my house was hosting a party.  Clearly, I didn't think that one out.   I hid in my room with some other friends I had invited and made a production of flirting with their guy friend until I passed out from drinking too much grain alcohol/gatorade beverages from my good friend (to this day) Jeremy. All in all, probably the best thing I could have done was go to sleep and stop making a fool of myself.

Years later, James and I crossed paths again once I had relocated to Annapolis.  By this time, I had matured (maybe?) and was a bit more direct with my approach.  I told him there was no point in trying this again as it didn't work the first time. (As I kissed him at the bar. Oops.)  His reply? "Huh, huh, huh."  But don't go feeling too sorry for him. By this point in time it was well known and all in good fun that he had a funny laugh.  I'm sure he is doing just fine these days!

9 comments:

Chapter Two said...

hey there. I changed my URL
Thought I best leave a comment and link myself.

p.s. Last Thursday when we went out for girls night out I talked about you and your blog and I took notes on napkins- yup! I did!

Nicole said...

This is like that episode from Seinfeld when Jerry couldn't continue dating a woman because of her annoying laugh. It's funny how something so minor can be so major. An annoying laugh is definitely a deal-breaker.

And thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.

asj said...

hilarity. you gotta love the little quirks that just completely turn you off out of nowhere, I've experienced a few of those!

Sally-Sal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sally-Sal said...

When you say "James" do you really mean Seth Rogen? They have similar laughs... :)

Jeff said...

Ohhhhhh gosh..thank goodness we are not wired for sound *laughing*

PS: at least we have the word laughing entered into the dating picture :-)

Slamdunk said...

Pause, while I listen to my own laugh to see if it is annoying...

Marlene said...

Have you ever watched Dexter? If so, you'll know who on that show has an annoying (but kinda funny) laugh.....Masuka!

International Woman of Mystery said...

I always remember what I was wearing too! Grain alcohol is never a good idea.

A bad laugh can be a bad thing - for sure...