Saturday, November 27, 2010

Wedding Planning and Frog Kissing

I just got an email from theknot.com to inform me that I am getting married in three months.  Um, panic much?  Not about getting married of course. I know I've found my match.  There are just so many things left to be done.  Like invitations, and rings, and hair and finishing favors to name only a few. Here are a few highlights of my wedding panic issues so far:

1.  I went to Michael's and Joanne Fabric like five times trying to pick out supplies for Save the Dates and had my graphically designingly inclined friend Mel draft them before I just gave up and did them via email.

2.  Near meltdown trying to agree on dishes while registering after I had debated for months and decided to not register at all based entirely on not being able to pick dishes. (We'll have these dishes for like...the rest of our lives!!!)

3.  I have a huge fear of the "ugly cry," when I walk down the aisle.  I want to make sure I look like this:


and not this









Oye. That is not good.  So I've devised a plan.  And people aren't going to like it but it doesn't matter because it's not their wedding. We are doing a "first look." I've discussed it with a bunch of my recently married friends and my photographer and it's going to happen so don't try to talk me out of it.  I'm sure it will take the pressure off... and if not, well, I guess there will be nothing left to do but...make sure my photographer destroys the evidence. (Which I'm sure he will because he is awesome!)

4.  Do all brides fear the "engagement period knock-up?" I never thought about it until my friend Kristen expressed her fear of getting preggers before her wedding.  "You'll be fine," I assured her. "Nothing to worry about." Then I got engaged and then I purchased my dress and suddenly it's like, "OMG you've gone your whole life and managed to not get pregnant. Do NOT F it up now."  But then one day you get an email from the knot.com saying you've only got 3 months and you realize that if you can just make it through this one last month you're pretty much in the clear! I mean, except for the fact that we don't want to have kids at all, but I'd be good to go with the dress situation. Right? RIGHT?!?!

So, on that note, yeah, I've been doing some wedding planning. But how did I get here? I'm not your average 25 year old bride.  Partially, because I'm not 25 but most importantly because I never wanted to get married too early and I never really wanted to do the hard core planning/organization of a wedding.  I kissed a lot of frogs before I met Nat.  Last week I promised a blog a day and failed.  Next week, I'm promising a dating story a day.  So stay tuned next week to meet some of my Mr. Wrongs that led me to Mr. Right. 

8 comments:

Natalie said...

I am notorious for being a cryer. I've shed tears during movies, tv shows, books & even commercials. I cried planning the freaking wedding so I was terrified of what would happen on that big day.
I was in too much awe of the day that it never even dawned on me to actually cry..
I think you'll be fine!

Thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to read some more over here.

TeeeRay said...

I get this! I HATE to get caught crying - it's so not pretty! Especially on 'the big day'! Dang tears! Thank goodness for smudge proof cement mascara!

Congrats and good luck!

Becky Mochaface said...

I thought I would cry. In fact I was sure I would. I always cry at weddings. But by some miracle, I didn't cry at all. DH did during the vows. But I wasn't tempted once. SO unlike me.

My photographer tried to get us to do a first look, but I ultimately decided not to. I wanted the first time we saw each other to be part of the ceremony and not separate. Though I was very tempted to do a first look. I don't regret that decision.

Jeff said...

I so don't have any comments for this one Jules...sorry..I just don't think a males point of view right now would go over to well :-)..ahhhhhhh heck with it..just do a couple shots of jagger before you walk down the isle..you will be fine !!!

The Vegetable Assassin said...

I look like an angry Tyrannosaurus Rex when I cry, so I feel you there. :) I say, have a nice cocktail then walk down the aisle and try not to spill red wine anywhere that's supposed to be white. Then it's all good. I imagine. And I bet you'll look BEAUTIFUL.

Chrissi said...

I don't even think it will be your man that makes you want to cry, it will be your Mom and/or Dad! I bet your Mom is a cryer! So, no eye contact with them, you may want to let them have a first look at you as well ;-)

The Leigh said...

Yeah my dad is the one who made me cry!! I was goofy fun until I met up with him hahahaha!

OH YEAH ON #4!! I was determined to drink on my honeymoon (Uh swim up bar HELLO!). Thats a terrible reason. Is Wine Fest & My 30th Bday another bad reason? hahahah

Milk-2Sugars said...

wow, i hope you manage not to do the ugly cry.. the ugly cry is not good

i also think youre very right about the pregnancy issue during the wedding lead up.. who wants to hear murmuers of 'shotgun wedding' on their way up the aisle? I know I don't

You made me laugh when you said you arent the average 25 year old bride, partly because4 you arent 25

Hope the planning is going well!