Monday, November 29, 2010

The Chef in the Suit and SUV

Shortly after the whole Shawn disaster, I met Alex.  He was several inches taller than me, and was good friends with my best friend Sarah's serious boyfriend so he had people to vouch for him that he didn't steal things.  Plus, he lived in the pool house separate from his parents so I wasn't going to have to deal with any angry Mom's as far as I could tell.  We met when he hosted a birthday party complete with a full bar and of course pool for Sarah's guys 21st Birthday.  I impressed him with my ability to play a solid game of chess after drinking copious amounts of various types of alcohol.  I wasn't that into him but it seemed like it would be really convenient if I was since all our friends were friends so we made out that night.

The next week he picked me up at my parents driving a large SUV and wearing a suit to go to an Italian restaurant in DC.  (My parents were happy about the upgrade in vehicle, attire and lack of visible tattoos, but were not impressed with his stiff personality. I think they may have thought I was starting to lose it. Plus, I might have still been casually dating the "sweet fellow" they liked and Mom was getting stressed out about dodging his phone calls when I was out with other suitors. Sorry Mom!)  So at this point in my life, I could barely boil water and frequently burned toast, and this guy was an actual chef.  Like told me stories about hanging out with Emeril.  I'm pretty sure I inappropriately spread olive tapenade on my bread when I was supposed to dip it and ordered the only thing I could pronounce on the Italian menu. Halfway through dinner, I knew I was done and was longing for relaxed night with the sweet guy but we still had to go to National World War II Memorial.  It was beautiful.



It would have been the perfect romantic date had I been into him.  Honestly, there was nothing wrong with Alex.  He was an attractive guy who had a lot going for him, but I had tried to force it and it wasn't working.   I even kissed him that night, (um, did you see the above pictures?  You at least have to give it one more go in that setting!) but alas, there was no spark.

I was far too immature in those days to be honest and tell someone I did not want to see them further.  My Mom dodged his house calls and I dodged his calls on my cell phone for a good week or two before I received his last message.  "Damn girl, you are hard to get ahold of."  I think he heard it and gave up then.

All was not lost.  When Sarah and her fellow married years later, Alex and I chatted at the wedding and there were no hard feelings. I do believe I heard he found his perfect match since then.

8 comments:

Jeff said...

His fatal flaw was not translating the menu into terms you would know :-) and so far I have not read that these guys made you laugh ;-) the key to happiness or at least having a fun date is making someone laugh ;-)

jules said...

You know, you may be right Jeff. None of these guys did make me laugh at all. As for Nat and I? We laugh all the time! I def would not trade him in. More stories to come though!

Kristy said...

You can't force a spark that is not there! Which is why I just don't understand all the upset people on Bachelor/Bachelorette when there is obviously not a connection and they still ask over and over, "Why?!"

International Woman of Mystery said...

I like the dating stories! Keep them coming. :)

Marlene said...

If it isn't there, it isn't there. "Stiff" personalities are out of the question....gotta have some laughter! Ok - that's me, anyway! :)

Just telling it like it is said...

I find that men are more attractive if I have beer goggles on so enjoy the dinner and drink it up...thanks for stopping by...I love DC

Just telling it like it is said...

and always listen to you heart it will never fail you...chemistry is important..okay I am off my nurse soap box! good luck suga

Lady Stardust said...

Laughing so hard I'm crying right now! Just what I needed in the middle of a stressful week, lol! These are awesome!