Sunday, October 3, 2010

Things I've learned in the past few weeks...

So we rent. You know that. I complain on a weekly basis of our wallpaper.  Eventually, we plan to buy a house.  I've always thought I wanted a little yard to putt around in all herb garden style and I'm sure the dog of our future will enjoy it as well.  The yard we have now is kind of a disaster but with lots of potential.  Nat and I got totally motivated a few weeks ago and cleaned it up and reseeded it in hopes of actual grass.

Here is the before/during and you must know the entire fence was covered in ivy which though beautiful, was breaking the wood.

And this is after the clean up when the yard had been seeded and top soiled in anticipation of lush green grass.


We felt accomplished and proud and excited to see what would happen in the next few weeks.  We also felt like that was a lot of work and maybe not our favorite thing to do.  Do you know what happened in the next two weeks?  NOT me taking a picture of our frail green grass peeking up to the sunlight.  Tropical Storm Nicole happened. Do you know where all that nice top soil landed.  Perhaps I'll show you.


Meet my basement.  Luckily and obviously we only keep junk down there so nothing important was lost.  I mean, except for our will to live. Ok, that was dramatic.  Long story short, we have spent HOURS on clean up. (Also, I'd like to note that I had a premonition only about a week prior to this to move my luggage off the floor. Phew! That is the one and only think down there that would have been a (ahem) wash.)

So what have I learned in the past few weeks? While the idea of renting from a proper management company forever is really appealing because you don't have to deal with anything that goes wrong ever, I realize that is not financially smart. But maybe I don't need a yard after all. After the clean up, Nat and I were so disgusted with our crap down there we both were OK with just throwing it away. So why not downsize?  Simplify and buy a condo?  We won't get the St. Bernard. (We'll mix it with something smaller so we just have a L dog instead of XXL. ) In the event we ever do end up in a house again with a basement, nothing will be stored on the floor.  I have since purchased large plastic containers to replace the now soggy cardboard boxes we once had.  And perhaps most importantly,  when using a portable sump pump, be absolutely sure the hose is securely attached. Otherwise, it ends up shooting off, violently spraying you and your favorite Bar Harbor sweatshirt and hair with mud. Just saying...


8 comments:

Mr. Condescending said...

omg that's crazy. BUY A HOUSE BUY A HOUSE pronto.

Eva Gallant said...

Oh, I'm so sorry your yard work was ruined. So glad you had nothing that was really valuable to you on the floor in the basement!

ClosedOnSunday said...

I think I would have just moved if I had that kind of mess in the basement...

Plastic storage bins are the way to go I think. Although I really hope no more tropical storms wreak havoc on your storage space!

Sir Thomas said...

I could do wonders with that backyeard...

Brahm (alfred lives here) said...

Tikes. Not fun. Buy a house, when we had similar mess at least felt like was cleaning and saving our stuff. And EVERYTHING is in those big blue plastic totes now.

Go for a spunky little dog...

Nicki said...

Oh noooooo!!!!! Too bad the water/mud couldn't have JUST covered your wallpaper so the Super would have no choice but to get rid of it! So sorry and thankfully, you didn't have anything of (sentimental) value on the floor!!!

Ms. Diva said...

Move to California - we don't have basements or tropical storms that move the backyard into the basement we don't have!!!

Stephanie Faris said...

We learned through our flooding incident that if you have a basement, it's not really covered by flood insurance or FEMA money...so it's best to not ever put anything in the basement you'd be bothered by losing.