Saturday, September 25, 2010

The new potato chip and the girl from the Maroon 5 video

There is no snack I love more than the crunchy, greasy, salty potato chip.  For that matter, sushi is pretty much the only food that only a daily basis I can say I enjoy more than the potato chip.  It's truly a love/love/hate relationship. I love them, they love my thighs and hips and I hate that.

There was a period of time in my life that I did not eat potato chips.  My stomach was extra flat.  These days I eat chips and suck it in.  I have not been able to find a substitute that was healthy enough to replace my coveted chip.  I know nothing lacking serious carbs is ever going to satisfy quite like the chip, but I have finally found something nutritious enough that I think I can substitute.  Well at least through February which is when I wear the big white dress! This magical food I speak of? Bare with me and make it before you bash it. (Yes you have to make it yourself, but it is easy!) KALE CHIPS.




So here's what has to happen.  You buy a bunch of kale.  (Not a ton of it.  Literally, "one bunch.")

1. Rip the kale from the tough skins in "chip size" pieces and rinse.

2. Toss in a big bowl with olive oil and sea salt.
       (I'll be experimenting with other seasonings soon.  I've heard things in the yoga world such as paprika, and garlic. Be creative.)

3.  Foil on a cookie dish, and spread that stuff out in a single layer.

4. Bake in your 350 preheated degree oven for about 20 minutes until the edges are crispy.
         (This is not exact. Check on it and stuff and don't blame me if it burns.)

I've only made it once but here are my "tips."

*To avoid soggy kale chips (nobody wants those) make sure to shake off as much water as you can, don't put on too much olive oil and definitely don't bake more than a single layer at a time.

*Also, have floss handy. You'll see. No really, go look after you eat them.

Now, if you need more motivation for a salty, crunchy, flaky, nutritious snack, check out the girl in the Misery video from Maroon 5.  I've just lost my app for chips anyway. Have you?





5 comments:

Jeff said...

Ohhhhhh I make kale chips all the time especially now since you get it really fresh...yes, experiment with flavors...I use galic infused olive oil...Old Bay instead of sea salt...have fun and enjoy !!!

Eva Gallant said...

Hmmm...major skeptic, here!

Mandy said...

Worth a try! This baby weight isn't going to lose itself.

*Sigh*

That's What She Said... (No, Really!) said...

I'm not so sure about this one... Kale chips? Like, the vegetable Kale? I'm going to trust you here... I will try this and when it comes out a delicious treat, I will post and say I was sorry I doubted you. :)

Chrissi said...

If you're really going to make this stuff alot for yourself, invest in a salad spinner to get the water off, then you'll have no soggy chips :-)