Thursday, August 5, 2010

Wallpaper Remedy?

A few months ago, I left my sweet, conveniently located downtown Annapolis abode with no parking for a grown up house with a driveway, three bedrooms, proper windows and no squirrels in the walls.  You may have noticed the Night Notes on Napkins have dwindled.  I still know how to party, I just choose to do so less, and it's a risky one mile drive back to the downtown area.

So all is well in the place except for what I can only call a "wallpaper situation."  Take a gander.


Seriously? This is our dining room and whenever we eat in there, I just gaze at the walls in horror.  The landlord won't budge on letting us take in down.  I'm getting dizzy as I type just looking at the pic above.

So I had an idea. I would cover it with white paper! I started the project on a trial basis several weeks ago and couldn't decide if I should go further, or start over with fabric. 

Saturday we decided to catch up with a few good friends.  Kristen and Jud had not been over since we had fully moved in and Katie and I just wanted to hang out.  Nat introduced us to all sorts of new wines and beers and I asked Kristen and Jud for their thoughts on the situation.  Ever the helpful one, Jud suggested we draw on the paper.  It would cover the seams and be fun too! 

Clearly, we've got nothing to lose.  And this is how Night Notes on Napkins became Night Notes on my Dining Room Wall. 


This is probably not the most mature thing we have ever done, but I think you'll agree with me that it is a vast improvement to the wall paper.  Plus, Katie learned the concept of adding "occur" to her vocabulary. I can't really explain how it works, and it really wouldn't translate in a blog so we won't discuss it further.  Just don't ask why the wall says, "mushroom-occur" and "bug-occur." It just does.

The next day Nat and I were short cutting through downtown, and we decided to swing by our old place to see if the slumlord had made any improvements.  Not only was the roof repaired, but there was young couple sitting on OUR porch, drinking OUR BEER!!!  I was crushed! I mean, my graffiti'd dining room is all well and good, but I adored our old place.  I tried to make myself feel better by considering how sweltering I know their loft is.  But mostly, I just want to see what they've done with the place on the inside...and then make them move out of my house!

9 comments:

Jeremy said...

Growing up is hard to do...

Eva Gallant said...

I think Jeremy nailed it!

Rose said...

cool idea with writing/drawing on the wall. Rose

natalee said...

What a great devcor improvement....how creative.. love your blog im following now!!!

Brittany said...

My friends apartment in FL has a wall similar.

The first time I was there I was a bit tipsy. He asked me to sign his wall.

So I used my art skills to draw myself.

It was kind of boring

So I added big boobs. :)

Its his favorite piece on his wall.. still..

I must say that it looks nothing like me. but a girl can dream.. right?

foxy said...

I think this idea is GENIUS! And so much better than the rancid wallpaper. It's like what you'd see in a funny shack at the fair or something. Ha...

Anonymous said...

Good post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

thoughtsappear said...

I love this idea! I used to tape post-its with quotes to my wall. This is soooo much better!

Aaron Gray said...

Oh, Julie, now you feel the horror I absorbed for nearly four years. For those just reading this and wondering what I mean, I lived (and played) in this house before Julie & Nat moved in and my home office was set up inside the room with the wallpaper. My solution was to hang framed pictures everywhere to drown out the stupid flowers. I'm glad you took a paint brush to the kitchen cabinets. The 692 compound will never be the same. Now it's new and improved. Keep up the good work and good luck with the landlord! Haha.