Sunday, August 1, 2010

Saying "Hi," to people you don't know

A few weeks ago I was attending a social gathering where several groups of friends were joining for a day of fun.   When I happily arrived with my group, I thought it was slightly odd when I noticed *Marilyn from a distance and she didn't say hello. We were all still unpacking our cars so I figured I'd catch her later.  I don't get to see Marilyn that often because she lives in another state but she's a really sweet girl so I was excited to catch up.  Before long I popped on over to her and gave her pony tail a tug and said "Hey!" (something I can assure you I have never done to anyone in my life, so why I choose this moment in time to be so forwardly friendly, I'll never know.)

As "Marilyn" turned around, I got a better look at her face for the first time and obviously, she was not Marilyn.

"Um, Hi. I'm *Brandy.  I don't believe we've met yet."

(A normal person would have said, "Oh dear me. You are correct. I apologize as I thought you were in fact someone I was previously acquainted with. Please do forgive me for invading your personal space so awkwardly.")

But for some unknown reason, rather than admit my mistake like a normal person,  I said, "Oh. I know. That's why I thought I should introduce myself." (Like seriously? I did NOT think that at all. Um, I carried a watermelon?!?!)  So then she basically ran away which is clearly what I would have done too.

Moments later, I saw the real Marilyn, and did I acknowledge her? No.  I didn't want to make the same mistake twice. I ignored her until her until she came to me and I was positive I wasn't going to make the same mistake again.

And I made sure to avoid fake-Marilyn at all costs for the rest of the day, making the situation even more socially awkward and most certainly leaving her with a feeling I'd been hitting on her and felt rejected.

Awesome.


*Name has been changed

9 comments:

Sir Thomas said...

*chuckles*

would have paid money to see the look on your face when she turned around....


*smiles*

Kelly @ Dare to be Domestic said...

I would have died. :)

My friend almost had this happen to her once at a bar. She saw my ex boyfriend with a girl who from the back looked like me. My BFF approached the couple and just as she was about to slap the "Not really ME" on the butt the girl turned to the side and my friend ran away as fast as she could. How awkward would THAT have been?!?!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

So very, very much something I'd have done too. Or do on a regular basis... Makes for a good story though!

Debbie(single;complicated) said...

ha ha ha! LOVE the way you told this story!! I can so see this happening to me and I would completely goof it up! BUT it would be nearly as funny in the telling!!!!!:)

Whitney said...

Brilliant! Those awkward moments are what make life so funny, at least to those around us. ;)

aladdinsane12 said...

ahaha! you totally carried a watermelon :) i'm sure she just thought you were being nice...or something like that.

Rose said...

DON'T SWEAT IT. THINGS HAPPEN. TAKE CARE ROSE

Ashley said...

Oh my goodness, that is hilarious. Smart response! I might just use it to see someone's reaction. :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog, as you said Paranormal Activity...disturbing...ewwww.
Off to bed I go...(now I'm frightened).

foxy said...

"I carried a watermelon" - i love, love, love that you used that line! Nobody puts baby in a corner!! :)