Sunday, July 25, 2010

A day at the Ocean

If you grow up in Maryland,  you are bound to take a family vacation to Ocean City.  The anticipation of spending blissful sandy days at the beach, and hot summer nights riding bumper cars and the tobbogan was almost more than I could bare as a child.  Cut to being a teenager and the excitement was all about looking at cute boys and seeing if you could get one working the amusement game stand to give you whatever cheesy stuffed prize it was you were after even though you weren't able to pop enough balloons with darts, or knock all the cups off the platform with only three baseballs.  The early twenties were all about copious amounts of alcohol, dancing and lots of trouble at Seacrets, then nursing hangovers on the beach the next day.

Somehow, I got too busy for Ocean City, Maryland in the last few years.  It was time to see what it was all about again!  Mel and I decided it was time for a day trip so said I'd invite Cheryl and she said she'd call Vicki.  We left Annapolis about an hour too late to avoid Bay Bridge traffic but still managed to secure a free spot on 11th street and be on the beach by noon yesterday.  It was sweltering but the water was icy and rough.  We devoured ham sandwiches and then did not wait a half an hour to dive into the ocean.  I didn't think about work or to-do lists, or anything stressful as foaming, salty waves crashed over, swirled around and knocked my feet from under me.  Over and over this beast called the ocean shoved me down and left my bathing suit bottoms full of sand, which was slightly surprising considering how many times they practically fell off surely showing my bare bum to all on the shore.  My vacation/beach motto is always, "Who cares?  I'm never going to see these people again."
Sista taking a walk.

Mel and Vic in the waves.

My carb wary conscious allowed me to indulge guilt free in vinegary Thrasher's french-fries.  After barely making a dent in our huge bucket we stealthily placed it in the sand and watched a seagull feeding frenzy go down much to our amusement.  (Don't worry, there was no one around and no fellow beach go-ers were affected by our charade and we got some fun photos!)

The sea gull set-up...

Feeding Frenzy

The Aftermath (and future advertisement for Thrasher's)
Next stop? Tony's Pizza!  By far my favorite boardwalk pizza.  And they didn't disappoint.  Cheryl and I then introduced Mel and Vicki to my favorite jewelry shop. Sanibel!  Not your average shell and friendship bracelet stuff, (not that there is anything wrong with that) you can find inexpensive stirling silver, pearls, amber, you name it.  This time, I finally got around to replacing my toe ring and purchased a silver bracelet with ...well shells.

The sun was just setting when we decided it was time to head home.  All wishes for the day had been satisfied and I left with a general feeling of well-being.  If only for only a day, all was right in my world.




(And Vicki said it best. We would all need to lather, rinse, repeat our sand and suntan lotion soaked hair!)

7 comments:

The Vegetable Assassin said...

When I was a kid my family went to Ocean City for a few days during an East Coast road trip and I loved it. My main memory of that trip was in OC on the boardwalk and the fun fair and watching guys throw pizza dough around. Oh and buying cheesy t-shirts with iron on patches on front. I even had a little pale blue Ocean City t-shirt that I wore till it no longer fitted. Good times. I always meant to go back but I still have NOT. MUST CHANGE THIS.

Eva Gallant said...

Great photos...looks like you had a fab day at the beach!

Colleen said...

Looks like such a blast! Awesome vacay.

Jeff said...

Nothing changes at the "shore"...from OC to Bethany Beach and even some time spent in Rehobeth...the names remain the same..Thrashers Fries, Grotto Pizza. Thanks for updating me with times in the present that brought back memories of the past in good olde OC,MD.

aladdinsane12 said...

i totally support your vacation attitude! if somebody sees my ass while i'm swimming, they should be happy! i'm not going to be embarrassed. and also you should be able to eat what you want on vacation, so the more fries and pizza, the merrier! looks like you had an awesome time- even with those flying rats. hate seagulls.

blunt delivery said...

i haven't been to the ocean in so long i forgot what it looks like.

booooo hoooo.

Kelly @ Dare to be Domestic said...

You just made my day with this post! OH how I miss Maryland (born and raised there) and Ocean City. It's such a crowded place but so magical at the same time.

I actually started to salivate when you mentioned Thrashers - HEAVEN! I also adore Tony's!

I haven't been to OC in forever and I really feel like a day trip is in order. I really should have gone with my gut when I was home for July 4th. My boyfriend would have loved it!

Thank you for the memories!!!ox