Monday, June 14, 2010

Toad Villiage

Ok, so the big Non-Night Note post is coming tomorrow. Let this post serve as proof however that I am in fact taking summer serious and embracing my artistic side in respectable ways. (Ok, well I guess that all depends on what you consider respectable.)

You know how I had all that trouble purchasing the Adirondack chairs? I finally got them all set up, potted some marigolds and zinnias around the porch and you know who got to enjoy it all? The mosquitoes! That's who.  Not only do mosquitoes love me, but I get these violent, swollen rashes around the bites that last for weeks, unlike what most people experience.

Complaining to Cheryl about my inability to enjoy my porch and chairs, she helpfully mentioned she would be working on a toad village in her own backyard as she suffers from the same problem. Toads can eat up to like a million bugs each a day.  All you have to do is supply them with a little shelter and some water and they will move right into your back yard and gobble up your mosquitoes lickety split. I did extensive research on the matter, (IE  about ten minutes of googling) and figured out you can just put terracota pots on their sides and half bury them for the perfect toad shelter.

First, I ventured to the dollar store to pic up some pretty rocks to glue on my pots to make them pretty.  It is there that I heard the phrase, "You is so right," uttered. Gotta love the dollar store.  From there, I headed on over to the magical store known as "Homestead Gardens."  Aside from nearly passing out from the heat and then securing a free mint green tea, the trip was success. I got my pots, a few lucky bamboo shoots, a rosemary tree and some patchouli. (The last three, not toad related.) I was not able to secure any toads while out, but I figured that was OK since their village was not ready for them yet anyway.

When I got home, even though I bathed in bug spray, I was eaten alive while I built my toad town. Small price to pay in the scheme of things. I think my next move is to wait for toads to move in.  Or at least a few days before I got buy some and see if they will stay.  Clearly, the toad accomodations are five star.



6 comments:

The Vegetable Assassin said...

I like to take summer seriously by concocting as many frozen cocktails as possible in three months. :) In the name of research, of course!

My least favourite thing about summer is bugs. I HATE BUGS. I would happily entertain a bunch of toads if they'd help me out with this problem. Plus I live in the mosquito capital of the world so ugh. Please help toads! :)

Eva Gallant said...

I don't know if this works, but I've been told if you attach a few "Cling-free" dryer sheets around the area and tuck a couple in your pockets so they are hanging out,it will keep the mosquitoes away, too. Might be worth a try! Good luck with your toad village!

buffalodick said...

Purple martin houses accomplish the same effect...and the electronic devices work pretty well too.

Slamdunk said...

That is def not fun. I have tried the sprays and dryer sheets and they have worked for me as well.

We are battling the biting horse flies on the beach vacation now--those monsters sure are annoying.

Kristen said...

We have awful mosquitoes too! Tell me if it works!!!! I want a toad garden. I'll go buy some toads. (side note: where does one buy toads?)

Melissa said...

Any luck? Or is it still a part time bird bath area?