Friday, May 14, 2010

The bad habit that's soooo good.

A few years ago I inadvertently gave up coffee. Crazy, I know. Crazier yet, is how much better I felt while off of it. Ok, that is a lie. I've craved it since the day we parted. Not needing it prevent a headache was nice, and then my hair dresser stated that my hair had gotten thicker so that was even better. On the rare occasion I did treat myself to a cup after giving it up, I realized my mind would race and I couldn't concentrate. Life was going on.

Then this move happened. I enjoyed a cup here and a cup there. The cafe at work downstairs. Starbucks downtown was just a 5 minute walk from my house. Karen in the office next door always brews a delicious pot in the a.m. And then, my move was over. In theory, I should stop right? But by now, I'd gotten into a routine of stopping by 7-11's surprisingly tasty coffee bar in the morning. I felt a part of something. There I was with all the others. We'd shake our sugar packets and pour from the plethora of creamer options. Stirring, smelling and sipping until the perfect cup was achieved for our personal tastes. The woman across from me was satisfied with her non-dairy creamer. The man next to me would pick the super size  cup. Everyone has their coffee routine and I was apart of it again!!! And that first sip of the morning? Sweet (but not too sweet) and creamy and comforting. All would be right with the world! INVINCIBLE to the hardships of the day I'd become!

But it can't last. Can it? I wake up in the morning groggy and hating life. For the past two years, I wasn't pleased when the alarm with off, but I'd be fairly alert within 10 minutes or so. Now, on a weekend at home, I physically can not get moving until I visit the barista. The headache creeps in if I wait too long. And I'm parched by the end of the day. Thirsty beyond words. I'm a better person when I'm off the coff. 

I started this week with a half a cup of joe each morning. Today I cut back to only a forth of a cup.  Hopefully, within a week I can be totally de-coffenated with little to minor emotional meltdowns. And DON'T even get me started on decaf. Just don't.

Hope everyone else is enjoying their morning bliss.  

7 comments:

Eva Gallant said...

I never acquired the coffee habit--couldn't hack the taste--but I was a big Pepsi drinker at one time. I eventually switched to diet Pepsi, then to diet/caffeine free, and now in retirement, I hardly drink soda--maybe a cup or two per week, if that. I know I'm much better without the caffeine, and I swear the stuff makes you hungry and you eat more. I still would love to have a regular Pepsi or a Mountain Dew, but I resist. I feel your pain.

Christopher said...

My coffee habit runs deep. I shudder to think of stopping. I shall not ponder the subject a moment longer.

Jeff said...

I drink 2 mugs a day. I even bought a "small" coffee maker that just fills my 2 mugs. I enjoy starting my day with it, but, that is it. When those mugs are done no more coffee and really not to much more caffene because I don't drink soda.

But I feel your pain...when I miss that cup ohhhhhhhhhh the pain, but, it is a something I refuse to give up because I enjoy the taste, the smell soooooooooo much.

Stephanie Faris said...

I dropped caffeine when I was trying to conceive in my early 30s...after that initial headache period, I got through it, but once I got past that, I was fine.

Cheryl said...

I know what you mean about working busily, happily, elbow to elbow with a bunch of strangers at the coffee station in the morning. That feels so good and communal and nice. lol. Everybody's got a common goal, but in their own individual way, and they tend to "play nice", cuz everyone understands each other. I feel at peace with the universe in that moment, lol :)

MrsDixon said...

Why does coffee have to be so good, yet so bad? The headaches are the worst! You get them if you have it AND if you don't!

buffalodick said...

When I'm into coffee- it's a half a pot.. when off it- none! Drinking booze in the morning is a bad idea...