Friday, January 22, 2010

Two gym memberships and...well that's story enough for now

I should have known better. Everyone I know who has gone to get a little tour of the new 24 Hour Fitness has joined on the spot. My boss even did it this week. I walked in all smug, sure of myself and prepared to just get my 7 day free pass and hang out while I cooled down from being pissed off at my current gym. Things started out smoothly. I was playing it cool. Real cool. I didn't oooooh and ahhhh at the super comfy bicycle seats in the spin room. I only casually waved to the instructor I knew in the group fitness room. Didn't bat an eyelash at the plethora of cardio machines each equipped with personal tv's and ipod chargers available for optimal calorie burning. It wasn't until "Carter" practically demanded I test out the temperature of the pool that my unimpressed facade started to falter. When I was smacked in the face with an extra steamy steam room, all the shiny, glitz and glamour of the facility came crashing on me at once and I couldn't contain my excitement any longer. Before I knew it, I was signing papers and double checking when Zumba class was. I swear I'm very responsible when it comes to money. Really I am but I was only 5'9 yesterday and that Carter guy was like 10 feet tall and I felt all vulnerable and small and ... well it wasn't until I was back in my car that an uneasy feeling appeared in my stomach and it became hard to swallow and I got a little nervous about the fact that I already have a gym membership. Oops. And a yoga membership. And that other yoga studio I've started to frequent. Double/Triple ooops. Um, if you need me, I'll be at some sort of body sculpting facility this weekend....

P.S. Now accepting advice on how to secure a fail proof plan to get out of my current membership without paying. I have a laundry list of ways they've wronged me and the chick in charge is not around until Sunday between 7am and 12pm.



in this life, there are nothing but possibilities

10 comments:

Eva Gallant said...

Good luck with that! Be loud and obnoxious and they'll want you out?

Dan said...

What about pissing yourself on the treadmill? A bit extreme I know, but desperate times call for even desperate measures.

Or if you can bring in guests on your membership, why not invite any homeless guys that you find sleeping rough on the streets?

buffalodick said...

I'm past that in my life- I have some equipment in the house if I get the urge to exercise..

Tracie said...

Good luck! The only way I ever got out of a membership was proving that I was moving out of the area. And I had to send them a copy of a utility bill or something stupid like that with the new address on it. They can be so nasty.

Secretia said...

Gym membership sales people are very seductive, they're selling us our romantic selves.

We can't resist!

Secretia

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MODG said...

I'm convinced when you die and go to hell, you go to a gym membership sign up center

secret agent woman said...

Ha ha ha! Man, they are convincing. And I tried to get out of a gym membership once, to no avail. But I'm only 5'3". I hope you have better luck that I did.

secret agent woman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.