Tuesday, October 27, 2009

You smell like a Poptart!

Oh, how I adore last minute mini road trips! Two Saturdays ago, it was cold, rainy and generally speaking les mis and I was enjoying some hard core snuggle time on the couch with my Nat, my electric blanket and two books. In the name of fun, we snapped out of that and headed to Kurt and Kristi's in Baltimore around 7pm. From there six of us had some wine, (duh) a few tasty treats and piled into van that was playing "Rocky Horror Picture Show. (Side note, I'd never seen RHPS, so it was interesting when a few minutes in, everyone including Nat started saying "JANET!" I had no idea!)

Anyway, it was about 9:30pm and we were en route to Philly. We had tickets to the midnight tour of the Eastern State Penitentiary Haunted House. I was apprehensive but I didn't want to be spoil sport since Nat was percolating with excitement, so I put on my brave face. Long story short, after arriving promptly at 11:30pm we didn't actually get in until 2am. But from there, it was well worth the wait.

We were first taken into a room and basically told the rules. Something about don't smoke or touch any of the actors and they won't touch you. (Riiiiiiight) The next 45 minutes consisted of non-stop spooks and scares around every corner. I tightly gripped Kristi's hand as we moved forward and a ghoul came at me saying I smelled like a poptart. (I think he was cleverly calling me a "tart" however.)  I cowered and looked away. Hidden windows flew open and hands darted out at us. Watch guards sprang from behind buses when you were expecting them from another direction. Prisoners heckled you with arms reaching out behind bars from mazes where you can't quite stay out of their grasp. Smoke machines filled a long hallway where more prisoners dressed in black and eerie orange randomly lined the walls unconstrained and your only question was who was going to approach you. By this time, I had latched my paws onto Nat and he practically had to pull me through this hallway. As suspected, the final man lurched towards me and though I was expecting it, I leaped so high in the air with yelp I almost fell when I landed. (It didn't help that the guy actually did run into me.) We passed through the hospital area where a crazed mad scientist type sniffed us and screeched our blood types while a body lay abandoned on the surgery table. Next up, an all too calm dentist glared at us and aimed his drill. The next room smelled burnt and we viewed decomposing corpses.

The 3-D room was my favorite. Florescent paint splattered black sheets lined the walls and hands grabbed at us. Again, they weren't supposed to touch us, but one actually knocked my glasses off. Next up was the pitch black area. We were given flashlights but mine wasn't working. I mostly just closed my eyes at this point, buried my face in Nat's back and held on as he led the way. I did open them in time to see body hanging at an angle that no body should ever be in reach out and grab Nat. I think he squealed in delight.

Four hours total travel time, two hour line and forty-five minutes of Haunted House fun equaled a total blast when mixed with such great friends!!! We hit up a Waffle House around 4:30am on the way back and ordered plenty of carbs and hot chocolate to thaw out. We didn't find our way back to Annapolis until 6:30 in the morning. Well past my bed time even in my crazy years, but I'd do it all over again next year!

10 comments:

lifelove'n'wine said...

Sounds like such a great time! The haunted house would have totally freaked me out!

JennyMac said...

What a blast!!! and how could I resist reading this post with a title like that! :)

f8hasit said...

Nope. No haunted houses for me. Last time I pee'd my pants. Nice.

Road trip sounds fab. I'll save the booth at the waffle house...leave the jumpies to you.
:-)

Sweet Simplicity said...

I love greasy breakfast foods!

Eva Gallant said...

Sounds like a creepy time!

The Peach Tart said...

Sounds like a great time and a great haunted house.

Dan. said...

Man, I wished we had stuff like that here. Though knowing some of the people we have in the UK, the actors would probably get knifed if they jumped out on some chavs.

Martinis or Diaper Genies? said...

yay philly! You should have called me. Although I would not have come with you. I'm a wimp

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

you are a wild woman! not even in my craziest days i don't think i ended my night at 6:30 am!

i love haunted houses too! there are a few here that are really fab and we go every year.

found you from steph in the city

Passion Fruit said...

I absolutely adore RHPS. One of my favs.