Thursday, October 15, 2009

Books

Last night I opened the cover to a new novel and was greeted with the opening (paraphrased) paragraph.

"Mary and Katharine had reached a point in the evening from whence there was no return. They had half a bottle of Tanqueray. They had limes. Plenty of ice. The hell of it was, they were out of tonic water." **

Does that not just make your heart smile? Before I got any further into the book I realized it was 11 and Chelsea Lately was coming on so I summoned Nat to the couch so against his will. It was then that Chelsea commented that her next book was coming out soon!!! Not only do I love Chelsea and her shoes, but her books are hilarious!

I awoke to a damp, dark morning and wanted nothing more than to stay snuggled in pajamas and read all day. The chill had the exact same feel as it did when I was a kid and would wake up before everyone on a Saturday and settle back into bed with a Beverly Cleary or Judy Blume number and later RL Stine and Christopher Pike.

My reading has been put on hiatus this summer because I got involved in The Count of Monte Cristo, swore I wouldn't read anything else until I finished and then halfway into it got stuck. Kristen  and Nat are both not pleased with me. I'll finish it one day I promise, but in the mean time, it's nice to get back to having a non-stop leisurely read handy. (Just finished a biography on Stephen King.)

What are you guys reading?

(In the mean time, I'm going to go ahead and click the "lackluster" button below this post for you. I know its a boring one. My apologies.) (But seriously, has anyone else noticed how fabulous Chelsea Handlers shoes are?)


** Little Bitty Lies, by Mary Kay Andrews

11 comments:

Christopher said...

Right now I am reading The Water Room by Christopher Fowler. It is a really good mystery with a hint of the supernatural.

I just finished Bar None by Tim Lebbon a great horror story (I will have a review up on my blog tonight. I also have a bunch of book recommendations up. (www.csdaley.com and click on books on the right hand side.)

MuLtI-CoLoReD SPRINKLES said...

We are one in the same, first of all the line from the book made me die laughing I love it...It was the epitome of me and my college roommate. As for reading it is one of my loves..one that unfortunately has been quite neglected lately..You have inspired a trip to Barnes! thanks! <3

Dan. said...

I have just finished Cormac McCarthy's The Road, loaned to me by my girlfriend.

I now feel as if there is no hope at all for anything.........

Passion Fruit said...

It's been extremely busy lately so I haven't taken up anything new since I like to read new books as straight as possible but right now I don't have the time nor the energy to concentrate on really, really reading something. So for the 15 and 30 minute reading breaks (not really reading breaks but just a chance to read while breakfest or dinner..) I go for some old favourites. I read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen last week and right now am on who-knows-nth round of Master and Margarita by Bulgakov.

I haven't read The Count of Monte Cristo for a long time but I remember I used to like it as a child. I also remember I liked the book better than the movie.

Eva Gallant said...

Ah the generation gap....I don't even know who Chelsea Handler is! I haven't been reading during the last month, but the last book I read was The Time Traveler. I like John Grisham and Dean Koontz.

buffalodick said...

Reminded me of when I read The Count of Monte Cristo, and The Three Musketeers- unabridged! Heavy plowing..

Kristen said...

You know what you could be doing? Reading The Count...by the fire.

*sigh.

One Sassy Girl said...

I always read something... except for now. Ugh. I barely have time to read blogs lately (silly job gets in my way) and my book is collecting dust. It's called Water For Elephants and is supposed to be amazing. I'll let you know... someday ;)

Love that opening paragraph! Hope the book lives up to it!

Stephanie Faris said...

What's the biography on Stephen King I keep hearing about? I think I missed that one.

I LOVE Chelsea Handler but I've never read any of her books. Not surprisingly, the library doesn't carry them! So I'll have to buy them...and I already have such a tall To Be Read pile, I'm going to have to force myself to make time for it!

heavealie said...

ohh I'm a Stephen king obsessed fan haha!!finished "desperation" by king 1 week back and it was good not his best work but good.a perfectly normal person can go insane after reading his books.one of his best works include different seasons especially shawshank!!dolores claireborne was awesome also carrie and etc.etc..
now I'm reading "the silence of the lambs" by Thomas Harris completed 150 pages and that is one heavyweight book on human behavior!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.