Friday, September 18, 2009

Whales and Puffins? Not exactly...

Oh my goodness, it's 8:30 am and that woman is making something delicious smelling for breakfast again! You sign up on the sign in sheet the day before around here, but I don't recall what it is we'll be having. Some sort of quiche and apple-oat pancakes I think. This big, warm bed that holds my love is also holding me, but we need to get up for some nourishment before our big day of biking! I'm a little nervous about the temperature. It's so hard to believe just a couple of weeks ago it was 100 degrees way back in Maryland, and yesterday we were bundled up in winter garb.

Speaking of yesterday, that was the big Whale boat ride day. Rest assured, we said "I'm on a boat!!!!" obnoxiously the whole time Andy Samberg style. We were told once on the boat, puffins were gone for the season and so were most of the whales. I was bummed that I wasn't going to be able to say, "PUFFINNNN!" and lot, and if you don't know where that reference comes from, oh but I think you do, I'm not going to incriminate myself to bad reality tv. And by bad I mean so good. (Totally, TOTALLY unrelated, I'm so glad Hank Baskett has a place to play for a while. Stupid Michael Vick. GRRRR!) What was I saying? Oh yeah, so there were no puffins, but in search of whales we went. It wasn't a huge success, but in the end a little Minke whale was spotted. It wasn't pleased at the myriad of paparazzi cameras aimed at him and would only pop up for a few seconds at a time. Let's just say I wish I'd taken a picture of the people taking pictures. Some serious camera's were out there. We also saw several dolphins, a cute seal and a shark!!! He came really close to the boat. After all the excitement, it was too cold to stay outside and I popped in for my first hot choc of the season. Seems all the commotion wore out everyone else too because I counted 15 people sleeping inside. At one point, one of them was even Nat! At the end of the cruise, we were told since they guarantee whale sightings, we would get free vouchers to come back.

After that, it was LOBSTER TIME! We picked the restaurant based on the wine list because Nat wanted a Chablis. I was adorned in a plastic bib that said, "Let's get to cracking!" Nat was too cool for his. I thought I looked good with my bib, Bar Harbor, sweatshirt and camera. Not to touristy at all....riiiight.  But seriously, my first lobster experience went well. I loved it!

I'm off to make myself presentable for breakfast!

7 comments:

Eva Gallant said...

Isn't Maine lobster the best??? Glad you're enjoying your trip.. .but winter garb? You guys must be a couple of those wimps from away! Mainers don't don winter garb until December!!!

Stephanie Faris said...

Mmmmmmm lobster. I visited New England and never tried lobster. Is that crazy or what?

buffalodick said...

Lobster... I would do humiliating things for that stuff...

jennahsgarden said...

Puffin!! God I miss that show.

jules said...

Me too! And I refuse, REFUSE to watch the next one. Who do those hoes think they are?!?! They could never compete with the original trio.

*Disclaimer- I'm still not admitting I watched the original however. Ha ha.

lifelove'n'wine said...

Haha, I'm sorry I have to tease you a little. I grew up in Maine (but about 3 hours south of Bar Harbor) and winter garb in September? Come on! I have to admit, we went home to Maine the same weekend you were there and the weather was unseasonably cool...but still:)

Also, had to laugh at the Bar Harbor sweatshirt, bib, and camera. Love your blog!

Kristin said...

Funny how boys are too cool. The hubs is too cool for umbrellas. Geesh.