Saturday, September 5, 2009

Nothing like a friendly competition...

Last Saturday before my morning walk, I cooked up a nice poached egg. I think I may have mentioned a few months ago how I was trying to perfect this cooking method. My friend Ben is also a huge fan of the poached egg which stems from our love of the Ramshead Tavern Bloody Mary Sunday brunch. I recently found out from his wife, my Bol'er Mel, that he now owned an egg poacher and was poaching away. This particular morning, I sent this picture via text to the Martin cellulars.

The response I received a half an hour later was:
Maybe one day you'll make it to the big league!
                                            
The nerve!!!!!! How dare he upstage me double egg style? However, I strongly feel he's cheating by using the the poacher. I mean, I slave away stirring at just the right speed to make sure everything works out correctly. Plus, check out my melty cheese and fresh cracked pepper. I can't determine who the winner is at this time.
But as I was saying, I was getting ready to go for a walk. The following things occurred to me on said walk. 
1. I want to bring back groucho pants.
2. I need an elaborate plan to make friends with those 40 somethings a few streets over who are drinking beer and chilled summer wine, all condensation like, on their porches while its 90 degrees outside at 2:30 in the afternoon. 
3. My current goals are a house, a writing career and a German Shepherd puppy who picks me from his hiding spot underneath a parked car. 
I also came across this flower and fellow.
                                              
When I was a just a girl growing up in Waldorf, Maryland, my best friend and I would catch those moths and smear their wings across that type of flower so it would sparkle...I didn't harass the little guy this time and I know he was thankful of his fate.

6 comments:

Stephanie Faris said...

I guess a little healthy competition is good for us but I loved your egg concoction!

Eva Gallant said...

I'll be over for breakfast tomorrow! lol

Seriously...I think you won!

JennyMac said...

Your breakfast looks fabulous!

Life with Kaishon said...

Oh my gosh! You made that yourself without a poacher? You totally win! : ) I saw your comment this morning while I was commenting on a SITS girls post and I thought your little comment picture was so clever I just had to come and visit! You sound like fun! I would totally want to be your friend. If only I lived in Maryland. Man! My friend Julie lives in Upper Marlboro. Hope your Labor Day weekend is wonderful!

LL said...

I can't poach an egg without ruining it.

They simply end up scrambled on toast. (I can make toast)

Breakfast looked yummy and I'm glad you spared the butterfly.

One Sassy Girl said...

It just so happens that I am a lifelong poached egg aficionado. I was cooking poached eggs long before they made a comeback. No pansy ass egg poachers needed, just white vinegar and a gentle boil. Oh, and i barely stir. Barely. The beauty of a poached egg is in it being cooked to perfection with that imperfect, floaty look to it. Perfect is boring.
I vote you!!