Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Savannah Sand...



It's no secret. I just got back from Savannah. Are there Night Notes? Is my name Julie? Of course. And they're fabulous. But I don't feel like sharing the hilarity at the moment. Instead, I'd like to tell the tale of Tybee Island.

When visiting Savannah it's imperative to make the short trip to the ocean. A twenty minute drive leads you to Tybee Island where the waters cold but the sun is hot in April. And apparently, the sand dollars are aplenty. That's to say if you're not afraid to pick them up...

It all started after Mel and I decided to walk down to the pavilion while April was sunning. I spied a half dollar in the wet sand and carefully picked it up. How this sand dollar had been broken in two, we'll never know but being a fan of all things sea bound, I picked it up gleeful of my find. After much deliberation on just how alive sand dollars were, we decided, not very. However, when we came across a fully intact one a short while later, our squeamish sides got the best of us as it's star opened and closed presumably breathing. I'm not sure what our fear of picking it up was, but in our delay an innocent looking 10-ish year old swooped in between us and scooped it up.

"Oh, that's one of ours," he stated. "It must have washed up on shore."

He had another in his other hand so I guess he'd just dropped it.

"So, it's safe to pick them up? " we inquired.

"Oh, yeah, just don't touch the under side or they turn your hand yellow," he proclaimed while displaying a mustard colored hand.

We asked several more questions in reference as to how to find them before his sister appeared with a conch shell.

"There's a snail in it," she exclaimed.

"You should probably put that back in the water, " I suggested. "It's alive and you don't want to kill it."

She looked at me like I was a complete moron and went away as her brother tired of us and walked away as well. And just where was he walking??? To his boogie board. Home of TWENTY PLUS DRYING UP SAND DOLLARS!!!

"That kid stole our sand dollar!" exclaimed Mel!

"We got bamboozled by a ten year old!!!" I pouted.

We considered casually taking one from his stash while he wasn't looking and running quick as lightening, but envisioned that ending in parents chasing up the beach and us yelling for April to "start the car!!!" Instead we wistfully walked back to our blanket, eyes peeled to the beach below us for another chance, but to no avail. When we got back to the blanket, we told April our tale of the mean bully who stole our sand dollar and convinced her to get it back for us. Unfortunately, she lost interest after realizing how long the walk back was going to be. I know she would have got it back had he been closer. Meanie.

And that is how we left Tybee Island with a half dollar in our pockets...



No comments: